Friday, April 27, 2007

Becoming Jane

Ok, so as I mentioned in an earlier post, Callie, Margaret, Meagan, Maddie, Marina, my mom, and I saw Becoming Jane, a movie portraying the life of the author Jane Austen. I would say that we all enjoyed it, but at the same time, we all thought some parts of it were inappropriate.

First of all, the acting was wonderful. Before watching the movie, I wondered how Anne Hathaway, as an American, would play the British Jane Austen, but I was pleasantly surprised. Her British accent was not as strong as, say, the characters' in the Harry Potter films, but she definitely pulled it off very well. The only movies I have seen her in (like Princess Diaries and The Devil Wears Prada) gave Hathaway really modern, American parts, so I was unsure how she would perform in a movie set in England during the early nineteenth century, but she acted very well. Also, all the other characters did great in their parts.

Second, the cinemotography was fantastic. The setting really emphasized the beauty of England. The rain and green landscape reminded me of Seattle!

Third, young children should probably not watch Becoming Jane. We took Madeline and Marina simply because we didn't know what this movie contained, but wish we hadn't. There are some inappropriate romantic scenes (mostly innuendos), but they flew over the girls' heads, so they're fine. I also wanted to warn any of you who might not be allowed to watch those things--the movie was disappointing in that respect.

Fourth, this movie does not portray Austen's actual relationship with Tom Lefroy, but only her possible relationship with him. When I went to the movie, I did not realize that, and was therefore quite surprised at some of the storyline. Now that I understand the movie was not an actual portrait of Austen, it makes more sense.

Fifth, this is definitely a "chick flick!" Some guys might like this, but it is rather sentimental.

And I don't think I have a "sixth." Overall, Becoming Jane was a well-done and enjoyable movie, but had a few bad parts. Those of you planning on watching it, I hope you enjoy it!

P.S. This movie does not come out in America until August 3 (Yay!! Sorry, but I have had my fair share of waiting to watch movies here in Australia; movies generally come out earlier in America than here, so it is a little relieving that we can see some movies before Americans . . .).

11 comments:

Madison said...

Great review, Michelle!

Very thorough, only you could have described the plot in greater detail.

What's it rated?

Traci said...

August 3rd? That long? *rats* :D

Thanks for the review, Michelle! I still really want to see it, though. I will just be careful!

Erin said...

Oh, I kind of want to see this! Thanks for your review. :)

Michelle said...

Madison, if you want me to e-mail you a plot summary, I don't mind doing that.... But don't you want the ending to be a surprise? :-)

It's rated PG. I read that at first, it was PG-13, but then they edited it....

Yeah, Traci and Erin, I bet you will enjoy it! It was really well-done.

Madison said...

If you don't mind emailing me a plot summary, sure, Michelle. I read ahead all the time. :-)

Michelle said...

Ok, I'll do that, Madison. It really is not much of a complex storyline--it won't take long. Don't you like things to be a surprise, though?

Madison said...

Not really. :-) I can't remember that last time I read a book that I didn't read ahead. I almost made it entirely through Girl With a Pearl Earring but I did read ahead. It's just what I do. :-)

Thanks.

Michelle said...

Yeah, sometimes I read ahead too...especially if you're in a really boring part. Ok, so I sent the e-mail to your previous e-mail address, because I forgot your new one. If you can't check your old e-mail account, then can you tell me your new e-mail address? Sorry that I forgot.

Karyn said...

I love Jane Austen, and can't wait to see this movie. Thanks for the review Michelle, it was really well done. Also, how in depth does the film go into her writing process? Is the movie about her life or about her writing?

Michelle said...

Hi Karyn! Becoming Jane really doesn't go much into Jane Austen's writing, but more into her relationship with Tom Lefroy. The movie does sort of bring in some ideas of her books though, particularly from Pride and Prejudice, through Jane's life. It's like the movie tries to show where Jane got her ideas for her books' plots from, without actually talking about her books. Also, the movie gives the audience an idea of how Jane started writing, but not much beyond.

Karyn said...

okay, thanks!