Saturday, April 28, 2007

What we will miss most about Australia....

My mom had the great idea of interviewing everyone in our family to find out what we all will miss most about Australia when we return home. So, here it goes!

What We Will Miss Most About Australia:

Marina:

  1. Grzesiaks (a family we met through Boeing who attends our church; Lukie Grzesiak is about her age, and they are close friends)
  2. Replay (a place where one can play video games at the mall)


Madeline:

  1. Sarah Grzesiak
  2. Replay - surprise, surprise :-)
  3. New Zealand (we had a fantastic trip there in the beginning of 2006)
  4. Beaches
  5. Hot weather, or, as she put it, "the sun"
  6. CityCat, a public ferry that stops at different locations along the Brisbane river

Meagan:

  1. Beaches
  2. Grzesiaks
  3. Our Queenslander home, including the backyard hottub & pool
  4. Unique, tropical flora and fauna
  5. Dreamworld (an amusement park we've only been to twice)
  6. CityCat






Me (Michelle):

  1. Beaches
  2. Family trips
  3. Grzesiaks
  4. New Zealand



Mom:

  1. Tropical climate
  2. Laid-back lifestyle
  3. Walks to Racecourse Road with my dad (they desert us girls for this ritual at night at least once a week ) :-( No, we really don't mind; it's great that they have a chance to get away.
  4. Weekly trips to the grocery stores (here, the shopping is more European in that you go to one store for meat, another for produce, another for bakery items, etc. . . but most of the stores are right next to each other, so it's not too difficult)
  5. All the fantastic people she's met, many who have lived abroad
  6. A wide variety of fresh produce
  7. Getting by with only one car - we can do this because my dad takes public transport to work . . . very environmentally friendly, at least compared to Al Gore's private jet! :-)
  8. Beaches
  9. and of course...the Grzesiaks! :-)

Dad:

  1. Tropical climate
  2. Short commute to work (it only takes my dad about 15 minutes on a bus to get to work, compared with 45 minutes or more in America)
  3. People he works with (I think this corresponds with #5)
  4. Fun family trips
  5. Easy-going lifestyle (Australians are not so rushed as Americans)
  6. Walks to Racecourse Road with my mom




So, some other time, I will post about what things we are most excited to go back to. I hope this gives you all a good representation of what our life is like here, especially when combined with my next one!

5 comments:

Madison said...

You're so lucky to have had the opportunity to live in Australia, Michelle. I envy you.

Traci said...

I bet it will be sad leaving...but, I'm SO glad that you are coming back to the states!!!!

Karyn said...

seriously, it must have been amazing to live there (but hard to be so far from what you knew-and loved-before)

Unknown said...

I agree with all of you. I miss most the weather, beaches, Brisbane, Sydney, Noosa and the City Cat.

Love Grandma Kim

Michelle said...

I guess living here has been ok (everyone else thinks it's fantastic), but I miss my friends and family SO MUCH! I really can't wait to go back to Seattle.