Saturday, May 26, 2007

State of Origin

I'm sorry, everyone, for being such a pathetic blogger!! I have had to study for two tests (one will take place the day before we fly back to America, and the other is two days after we arrive in Seattle) and we also have to organize a lot. On Monday, the packers will come and begin the moving process, so we will move to a hotel for the last week. So we only have two nights left in our home!!!! I can't believe it! But I'm SO excited!!!! I really am ready to get back home.



Last week, on the 23rd, Meagan, my dad, his secretary (or personal assistant, as they call it now), Mr. Adam, Noah Adam, and I went to the first game in the State of Origin. This is a set of three rugby games between Queensland and New South Wales. Queenslanders and those from NSW make a big deal of this game, because only the best players from each state play in the game. So, even if a Queenslander plays for the NSW team, in the State of Origin, he will play for Queensland, which makes the games very competitive between the two teams.



We all had a great time at the game. I have never seen a rugby game before and only went to one football game back in America, but I absolutely LOVE them!!! Rugby is actually very similar to football, except it goes quite a bit quicker. First, the clock does not stop during the game, except for halftime. Second, once the player with the ball is tackled, the quarterback quickly passes the ball to the running back.



Almost all the spectators wore these special jerseys, maroon (which they pronounce "muhr-own") for Queensland and blue for NSW. My dad had received a Queensland one for his birthday, so he was set, but Meagan and I felt rather left out without those shirts. After seeing that everyone else had one, we planned on buying some, but immediately changed our minds once we realized they cost $170 each!!!!!! Isn't that ridiculous????? But sorry . . . you probably aren't reading this to hear me complain about prices . . . .



Another thing I found annoying about the game was that everyone drank beer. How sad!!! Now, I'm not saying that beer is bad, but people drank it a bit too much, and one time, when Queensland made an unexpected touch-down, some people above us spilled beer on top of us. Lovely! Just what we all needed. :-)



And QUEENSLAND WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wahoo!!!!!!!! We were all SO glad!!!! Meagan and I were pretty loud . . . we enjoy cheering . . . . :-) There was this one older man behind us who kept giving his opinion on what moves the Queenslanders should make . . . it was pretty funny!! And whenever these people behind us started saying "Let's go Queensland," or "Queenslander," we all would start screaming it too.



I had better talk more about the scores now. At halftime, QLD had 6, while NSW already had 18, or something like that. We all were pretty concerned!!!! But then the game ended with QLD: 25, NSW: 18. YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!! So fun.



Now the hardest part of the night was walking to our car. The pathway was completely packed, so we could barely move. It seemed like we moved at a speed of 1 inch per hour. And then, whenever anyone pushed someone else, it would start off a chain reaction, and everyone would be pushed around. My dad kept on pushing me, and then I had to push Meagan--not like I meant to, but we barely had any room to move!! It was pretty funny though.


Well, I need to go to bed now. Have a GREAT day!!!!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had a ball (no pun intended) Michelle. That must have been very exciting; the Rugby fans are very loud and free spirited, so the people watching must have been just as good as the game!
Only two nights left in your incredible Aussie home, that is okay. You were so lucky to have had that "estate" for your time in Brisbane, so many wonderful memories there, I will never forget our trip.
Have a great last week, will see you all very soon. Love to all!
Grandma Kim & Grandpa Mark

Karyn said...

Sounds like fun game. I love sport games, mostly, though i never actually watch the game, but choose to cheer for the team that everybody is not and then make a big deal out of it (only with friends of course, don't want to get killed and all that).

You're almost home!!!!!!!! Just a few more days and you'll be back in the states [and in my timezone :)-]

Hope you have a wonderful last few days in Australia!!

Traci said...

What an amazing oppourtunity! FUN!
Hope you do well on your tests! HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY!

Madison said...

Sounds like a lot of fun.

If the clock doesn't stop, do they add stoppage time? In football (soccer) they do.

Michelle said...

I don't really know about stoppage time in rugby games .... All I know is that in this game the clock stopped only once--for halftime.

Lizzy said...

wow. fun times. i've never seen a rugby game before.

-liz

p.s. i tagged you... :D http://emerhea.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

sounds like a fun game. if i was living in l.a., i wouldnt mind seeing beckham play. oh, wait. that's soccor, right? never mind.