Saturday, August 18, 2007

2007-2008 School Courses

School's almost here!!! I am pretty excited for this year, because I'm taking some really fun-looking classes. Here's a list of my courses and extracurricular activities:


1. Precalculus -- it should be fun, but I've heard scary things about it! I'm really disappointed, because if I hadn't gone to school in Australia, I would be taking Calc this year, but oh well. I guess I learned a lot at school, even if it wasn't math.


2. AP English Literature & Composition -- I am taking this online, just like I did with last year's AP English Language & Composition course. And Madison will be in my class again, so that should be fun. I have heard fantastic things about this class, so I'm really excited!! It looks like it will be a lot of work though.


3. AP US Government & Politics -- at first, I planned on taking AP Microeconomics, but then I realized that some colleges (like Patrick Henry College) require a government course for admissions, so I changed to this one, and it looks great! I love politics, but don't know too much about it . . . yet! :-)


4. Physics -- I am really excited about this class, because I am taking it through a co-op called Homeschool Connections. And science is always tons more fun with other students than without! I took half a semester of Physics at Clayfield College, the all-girls school I attended in Australia, and absolutely loved it! It also makes it more fun if you have a dad who's a rocket scientist and who can answer any of your questions about Physics!
5. Worldviews -- Last year, I took an honors US History class taught by Mr. McKenzie, Callie's dad, and when he mentioned that he would be giving a Worldviews class this year, I was definitely on board! It will be especially fun since I can participate more easily in the class discussions, since I won't be on the other side of the world!! Yay!
6. Drama -- Years ago, I participated in two rather "unofficial" plays, so this is my first real drama production. The play could either be Little Women (we're praying for this one!!), A Midsummer Night's Dream (it would be ok . . . I love Shakespeare), or Peter Pan (Uh, I'm not crazy about this choice), but whatever one it is, I will still have fun, since Meagan, Callie, and Margaret will perform in it also!
7. Piano -- I have played piano since I was six, but in Australia, I really did not advance much in my musical ability, probably because I didn't practice much. :-) But I am determined this year to work hard and practice for 45 minutes a day.
8. Choir -- Hopefully, I will be able to join a choir through Homeschool Connections with Callie, Margaret, Meagan, and some other really nice girls I met at church. This choir could be all girls or both boys and girls. I actually would prefer the latter option, because songs seem to sound better with all four parts or at least with more than just girls singing.
9. I also might teach Meagan history this year!! How cool is that? You see, my mom was having trouble finding time for her to teach Meagan, and she doesn't want her to watch another course through the Bob Jones DVDs, so I offered to teach her! We'll see how it goes, but I am really excited about trying it. Btw, I will be using a curriculum, and will be more monitoring her work and deciding what books she needs to read instead of lecturing her. Hopefully it will work out!
I think that's all of the things I'm doing this year. Oh, I also will have to work on applications and researching colleges . . . . So, it will be a pretty busy year, but I'm so excited! I cannot wait for fall, for the cold weather (hopefully it will SNOW sometime this fall and winter!!), and for classes!!
P.S. Sorry about the spacing . . . I've tried millions of times to double space between the paragraphs, but it won't work . . . .

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds just wonderful! I am so excited for your courses. I am so excited for your optimism with college. An education is the most important thing you can get, especially since it will always be an enhancement to your life. Not to mention, you will always be prepared to take care of yourself. Keep up the good blog work, I just love reading the news.
Love Grandma Kim

Erin said...

Little Women would be so fun to do! But, coming from someone who's already been in Midsummer Night's Dream, you would be guaranteed to have a BLAST doing that. :)

Traci said...

Wow! It sounds like you have a great school year to look forward too! :D
I totally agree with Erin, that you would have a blast doing Midsummer Night's Dream...it's really great!