Monday, August 20, 2007

High School Musical 2


"I need fabulous." That is the main line of the second song sung by Sharpay in High School Musical 2, and I have to admit that the entire movie is not totally up to Sharpay's standards. And I know that I am not alone in this (*smiles at Madison*). But at the same time, the movie did target "tweens," not teenagers, and it wasn't wholly bad in that respect. I know that my little sisters, Madeline and Marina, are absolutely CRAZY about it (we've all been listening to the HSM2 soundtrack for the past three days . . . and the songs are SO stuck in my head). And, in some ways, I actually liked it better than the first one (which I liked a lot):


First, the cast would break into song and dance at random parts, which was kind of cool. In HSM1, most of the songs were only for the musical that's in the actual movie, and I rather like having the songs more incorporated into the story. I know that some people consider that a negative, but I think it's fun.


Second, it was almost so dumb and sappy that I couldn't help but laugh so hard. My mom, younger sisters, aunt, two younger cousins, and I watched it together, and all of us older ones would totally burst out laughing in certain parts (like when Troy and Gabriella broke out, and when Troy sung his solo :-)).


Third, I liked most of the songs. "Fabulous" is not my favorite, I don't really care for Sharpay's version of "You Are the Music in Me," and Gabriella sounds too nasal in "Everyday." But all the other ones are really catchy and definitely "feel good."


Fourth, I personally think that Ashley Tisdale (playing Sharpay) and Zac Efron (Troy) acted really well in this one. I know that Sharpay was exaggerated, but it suited the movie and its audience.


But, now for the negatives:


First, the whole plot was pretty much the same as HSM1's: Troy and Gabriella are doing great at the beginning, but then people interfere, and they break up, but eventually, they get together, sing a duet ("Breaking Free" or "Everyday"). At the end, they sing this huge "Together" or "All in one" song at the end with their friends. It seems like they just took that plot, spiced it up, put it in a different setting, and added a bit more of Sharpay's quest to win over Troy.


Second, when the cast begins to sing, you can totally tell they're doing it in a studio. In most movies, there is not this striking difference between voices, so it shouldn't have been too hard to improve . . . .

Third, the only people in the movie who are even remotely interesting or unique are Sharpay and her brother. Gabriella was boring and almost too perfect, and Troy . . . definitely too cliche.

Fourth, the movie was extremely sappy. Sometimes this was downright funny, but in the duet "You Are the Music in Me," Gab. and Troy were acting way too romantically, especially since little kids are watching this and perhaps imitating it.



So, altogether, I would say that the negatives outweigh the positives, but I still sort of enjoyed HSM2 (yes, I admit it . . . ).

2 comments:

Madison said...

The acting was better. That's just about all I can give it. Otherwise...I know exactly what I would have done differently. And when you've seen only once....I guess I sat down to the watch the movie in a very skeptical state of mind and was looking for faults.

Traci said...

nice post michelle!
I don't really have much to say about the movie. I liked some parts but didn't like other parts.

They was two songs I absolutely loved in the movie, but I can't remember their names! :D